How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Columbus Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments respond to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s commonly associated with wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources along with gas or oil furnaces.

Why is CO2 awareness so important?

The short answer is that CO2 awareness is a matter of life and death. CO2 is tops when ranking leading causes of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning have been known to be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and continuous fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning an often hidden enemy that can be fatal over several years, or within just a few short hours. Severe poisoning takes place from breathing large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning may also happen gradually over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.

So what can you do?

  1. If you don’t have a CO2 detector in your home, get one right away. You can phone Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
  2. If you do have a CO detector that is battery-powered, check or replace the batteries regularly; at least every 90 days. It's also recommended to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced a few of the symptoms cited above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Contact Us