How Do You Check for Carbon Monoxide?

There are a lot of vapors that could be within your Columbus home. Natural gas and fumes that derive from home furnishings, carpeting and paints. None of them are as dangerous as carbon monoxide.

Call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 614-334-3192 today to begin shielding your home against this toxic gas.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so Bad?

Carbon monoxide may be a big deal, so it’s not a matter to joke about.

1. You Can’t See It

Carbon monoxide is dangerous because you cannot see it, smell it with your nose or taste it. It’s not as dangerous in low doses and can’t be filtrated.

2. It Can Be Fatal After Only Minutes

Carbon monoxide is a side effect of burnt fuel. It can get into your residence during the heating season if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace cracks. While it depends on how large the leak is and the circulation in a house, the gas may become lethal in only a few minutes.

Once inhaled, carbon monoxide has a half-life of about five hours. If you are taking in clean air, it will take five hours to take it out of your system. It requires another five hours to reduce that level by half.

3. Carbon Monoxide Reaction Can Mirror Other Illnesses

It can also mirror symptoms that can be mistaken as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

How to Protect Your Home from Carbon Monoxide

There’s no point to risk carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here are several ways you can do to keep your residence safe:

  1. Your house with at least one natural gas appliance, attached garage or fireplace requires a carbon monoxide alarm. You need to have an alarm on all levels of your house, in addition to the basement and garage. You also need to install one inside or outside of every bedroom. Aren’t using a carbon monoxide alarm in your home?
    Call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 614-334-3192 to purchase one. Ask our techs about our economical Wi-Fi carbon monoxide detectors.
  2. If you currently have a carbon monoxide detector, frequently check or put in new batteries. You should test batteries every season, and get a new system every three to five years.
  3. If your carbon monoxide detector alerts you to danger, leave your house right away and dial 911.

Protect Your Loved Ones with Assistance from Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be frightening, and with the recommended actions your home can be guarded from the hazardous gas. Take the precautions and call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 614-334-3192 to learn more.


Our Health and Safety Commitment
At Service Experts, our top priority is always the health and safety of our customers and team. We are following all COVID-19 (Coronavirus) public safety guidelines and adjusting our business practices as needed to ensure customer and employee wellbeing. As a precautionary measure, anyone working on behalf of Service Experts – including our technicians – is being asked to stay home for the recommended 14 day quarantine period if they are returning from out-of-country, have been exposed to a presumptive or confirmed case, or are feeling unwell. We are providing our technicians and other field employees with additional health and safety guidance to assist in keeping our customers and employees safe. Please be prepared to answer brief health and safety questions with our representative. We will continue to monitor the situation and will adjust our business practices as required. We recognize that this may be a particularly stressful time and want you to know that, we are committed to serving you and making your experience as easy as possible.