In regard to energy-efficient HVAC installation in Columbus, there’s great news for homeowners at tax time.
The Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit will now go through 2020. This may entitle you to credits for energy-efficient home modifications, like modern heating and cooling units, water heaters and heat pumps.
What Are the Eligibility Requirements?
To qualify for the credit, the home should be the taxpayer’s main house in the U.S. The improvement should work for five years or more, with the original use originating with the homeowner.
What Kinds of Changes are Eligible to be High-Efficiency Renovations?
Usually, this tax incentive equals 10% of the cost of the ensuing energy-saving enhancements that match specified ENERGY STAR® guidelines:
- Advanced main air-circulating fans
- Energy-efficient gas, propane or oil furnaces
- Energy-efficient gas, propane or oil hot water boilers
- Energy-efficient heat pumps
- Energy-efficient water heaters
- Energy-efficient central air conditioners
- Energy-efficient metal and asphalt roofing
- Qualified exterior storm windows, skylights and storm doors
- Solar/geothermal energy products, for example solar electricity, solar water heaters and geothermal heat pumps
Is There a Limit to How Much I Can Claim?
Yes, there’s a lifetime max credit of $500 per home. This means if you have taken this credit in previous years, you must reduce any credit you previously claimed.
If you’ve previously claimed the highest amount, you won’t be eligible for any additional incentives through this expansion.
Credit Caps for Certain Units
Credits are limited for some participating equipment:
- Windows and skylights—$200
- Advanced main air circulation—$50
- Hot water boilers—$150
- Energy-efficient systems—$300
If you have questions about how you can benefit from the extension of the residential energy efficient property tax credit, download Form 5695 or contact your tax advisor for assistance.
Improve Your Heating and Cooling System Today
Been procrastinating getting new heating and cooling units? Talk with the Experts at 614-334-3192 or contact us online. We can help you choose an energy-efficient system you can earn tax benefits from the next year.