Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your residence, being comfy in your new space year-round is important. However, they can present a unique situation for comfort. This is since extending ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the increased load, since it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most cost-effective possibilities is to get a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Find out more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition could be a great fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, because they’re nearly identical to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are very energy efficient since they move heat to make your addition comfier. In fact, many have achieved ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for extra rebates and lower your energy bills for years to come.
Another exclusive feature involves zoned heating and cooling. Since each room often has its own indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is particularly beneficial if you have a area with special temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for areas that lack ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s smarter than installing ductwork and using your present heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is expensive. Installing ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the total cost will depend on your residence, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system could become overwhelmed. When your existing heating and cooling system was put in, it was based on the square footage of your home prior to the addition. This may overwhelm your system and make it fail more rapidly.
- Your comfort might decrease. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for specific square footage, your comfort may decrease if your system is forced to take care of a bigger area. Your heating and cooling might be less efficient, and your energy costs may increase since the system needs to run more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like regular systems, mini-splits come in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we’ll help you choose the right size for your new area. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in big energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or longer when routinely maintained. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From answering all your questions and helping you pick the ideal model to providing Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide assistance. Reach us at 614-334-3192 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.