When bad weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair technician to check your system afterwards, they can likely provide you with good news that your preparations paid off.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time might not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets tossed around during bad weather. Just ensure you have turned the system totally off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a secure place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to go back out of your home, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Columbus, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other problems that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for bad weather in Columbus or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.