When rough weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair technician to check your system afterwards, they can probably provide you with good news that your prep worked.
At Stevenson Service Experts, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time might not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during bad weather. Just ensure you have turned the system totally off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to return out of your home, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Stevenson Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Columbus, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other problems that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for bad weather in Columbus or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 614-334-3192 or schedule an appointment with Stevenson Service Experts through our online scheduler.