Each year over 20,000 people go to the emergency room because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is given off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the colder months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep your home safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a few tips to safety warm your home.
- Install a CO detector on every floor of your home and swap out the batteries annually.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, a distance over three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, always check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces unwatched. Shut off space heaters and ensure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like ceramic tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, buy a model that powers off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Do not use a stove to warm your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally examined and cleaned annually.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating equipment is to make sure it’s not only ready to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your fall tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Service Experts will check to ensure your heating system is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 614-334-3192 today and ask how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.