Carbon monoxide connects with red blood cells, stealing oxygen from your body it needs to survive. It blends with these cells nearly 200 times more effortlessly than oxygen, resulting in a condition known as carboxyhemoglobin saturation.
Carbon monoxide, instead of oxygen, then gets carried to the critical organs through the bloodstream. In short, carbon monoxide starves your body of oxygen. Organs have to have oxygen; without it, they begin to suffocate.
Your body requires a long time to get rid of carbon monoxide; however, it can be taken in much more quickly.